Imagine what could happen in six seconds. It is hard to think of things that last so short, but you can really do something, not that it would be very important but still. What do you think is it possible to create something special and unique during this period of time? Well, people who use Vine app think that they can do it. Moreover, marketers are using it too. Using social media for marketing brand sounds very common these days but let’s focus more on Vines as a marketing tool.
Vine and its use
Vine is a free application that allows users to record, edit and share short and looping video clips which can be no longer than six seconds. These videos can be shared not only on Vine’s social network but also on other social media such as Facebook or Twitter. It was founded in 2012 by Dom Hofman, Rus Yusupov and Colin Kroll but few months later the company was purchased by Twitter and it was launched in 2013, January. At the same year Time magazine listed Vine app as one of the best android applications, moreover, every second five Twitter users post a Vine clip. In a couple of months this app became the most used video sharing application.
The name of Vine comes from Vignette, which can be defined as ‘’a short impressionistic scene’’. I have to mention that this app is really easy to use. How do you use it? The camera records only while screen is being touched and this is the secret how people create stop motion effects. To use Vine you have to open the app, aim the camera at a subject and hold the finger on the screen in order to record. When you lift your finger off the screen and it pauses, you can change subject and then film another video. After you have filmed everything you wanted, Vine automatically links recorded clips together. At the end you can share your creation with the world via social media platforms.
It is really difficult to stand out in the social media. Nowadays, when all social media platforms are full of advertisements and long videos, people are preferring short clips instead. Using Vines is good opportunity for those companies, that doesn’t have huge budget, because these 6-seconds video are free. But does it work that way? Just putting content online doesn’t do a thing for a company. People has to be engaged and interact with posts, comments and moreover they have to share it. The most important thing is that engagement has to be authentic and unique. Content that a company wants to share on social media has to be real. Big companies can make very expensive videos, but does it mean that they are better?
What marketers can do using this photo, video and sounds combination app? There are lots of examples, but I will concentrate on a few.
- Educate your target audience with ‘’How to’’ Vines. People are searching for various things on the internet. So why don’t use it in order to reach your target audience and help them? For example: if I need to make a cocktail, I prefer shorten version of a lesson instead of long, 5 minutes video on youtube. Or if any men clothes shop creates a Vine of how to tie a tie it could be also very useful thing. So now you need only 6 seconds to create tutorial video and in that way promote your product and brand. Of course, to demonstrate something in six seconds can be very hard, but companies can be very creative at the same time simple and release series of ‘’How to’’ Vines. Even more, it could be only tips, how to do something in easier way.
- Show your product in action. When I want to buy something I always search for more information on the internet. It is really important to know how it works, what its advantages and disadvantages, any information can be helpful before making a decision to buy something. And I hope, I am not the only one. People do search for more information about the product, so why companies cannot provide it? Creating a short video of product in action would really attract customers’ attention. Moreover, companies can encourage customers to create and post their own clips of the products they have bought. This will not only help people who are undecided, but it will also help for those customers who share their experience of the product to feel a part of a brand. Engaging the audience is always beneficial for both sides.
- Show people what is your business. This step can be really useful when the company wants to build closer relationships with its customers. For example in order not to be distant from customers, companies could show their employers, videos of the shop, product demos. You can show your products that will be released later or those that are already in the market. If you are creating Vine for the upcoming products or events using Vine is great way to build excitement around a new product coming.
There is no one and only way how to create good Vine clips for marketing but here is what you can do in short:
- Show your logo or brand name in the clip;
- Show the product;
- Encourage your loyal customers to create Vines;
- Make clips very clear, unique and fun;
- Don’t forget to share it!
As you can see from the diagram, the average Vine app users’ age is 18 – 20 years. Actually, the age range is little bit wider: 13-25 years (Millennials). But still, we can see that other social media has bigger range in age. So maybe these numbers and young audience can be the disadvantage of Vine? Every business company before starting Vine should think again what they want to do and what is their target audiences’ age. If your business is focusing more on elder people or selling very expensive products, Vine may not be very helpful for you.
Take a look at this sheet! Basically, everything about social media is in one place. How about Vines? How this app looks among these huge and successful brands? Vine has a smallest amount of users. But only this social media platform is free! In 2013 it was something very new and it became a trend, but what about now? Is it still usable? There are some major updates that are really solving some problems. Here is what improved:
- Possibility to import existing videos from your phone and just then mix them. There is no longer need for taking Vines only with the Vine app, it means that you can use old material in order to create something new and unique. Moreover, you can use already used data which was suitable for example only for print advertisements, and remake it in something attractive and interesting.
- Faster editing.
Vine is one of the first video sharing apps on the market and I think that it is a powerful tool for marketing purposes. The ability to create funny and at the same time meaningful clips makes it so popular. Even though it is simple to use, there is no need to think that Vines are not helpful in order to reach your target audience if it is young and innovative people. As there is no one correct way to do it companies have to find the most suitable approach, not all of the works exactly the same for every type of business.