It is the end of an eventful year. We are all familiar with video’s that went viral on social media platforms. Instead of having a boring, emotional speech while reflecting back on 2014. Let’s have a laughter together at some memorable Memes and what made them so popular. At the end I have also included my prediction for next year. I wish you all a Happy New Year and a lot of ‘’LOL’’!
Wait. What are ‘Memes’?
Before I fire you with all the funny Memes, I want to quickly explain what it actually is. Memes are most popular among the younger generation and most of the people probably have seen one before, maybe without realizing it. It derives from the Greek word ‘’Mimeme’’ which means ‘’an imitation from something’’.This could be in any area: music, fashion or technology. A Meme is basically something that reproduces itself in a culture by means of copy behavior. It is usually a Photoshopped picture that is meant to be funny and is being spread and shared by a lot of people.
Memorable Memes of 2014
Why are these Memes so popular?
- Easy to digest. The most popular Memes are a simple image with just a few words, which is easy to understand in a few seconds.
- Social Media. When we see a funny, relatable Meme we often share it with our friends and family. This can result in Memes being spread very quick to your social network, the network of your friends and so on.
- Topicality. Memes that react quick and playful on current events causes a lot of hilarity and shares.
- Familiar. The most popular Memes are often recognizable and relates to ourselves or our friends.
- Funny. Nearly all successful Memes include an element of humor, which people are eager to share with their family and friends online.
Prediction for 2015
I think that next year even more companies will use Memes in their marketing strategies. They should take advantage of this hype! Firstly, Memes are easy and quick to create. You can use your own picture or find one on the internet and you can put your own text in it. Secondly, it is completely free (though there might be copyright issues in certain cases). Thirdly, everyone loves a good joke and enjoy a laughter. Finally, it is a great way to jump into current events and make your brand memorable.
Memes can be seen in a way as viral marketing, because it can be shared and spread from person to person very easily. The most popular Memes are: easy to consume, shareable, picks up on current events with a wink, are recognizable and they are funny. My prediction for upcoming year is that companies will find some innovative marketing strategies using Memes. As a marketing communication student I can’t wait! What was your favorite Meme of 2014?
Read more about how to leverage Memes in viral marketing here.