Whether you’re an owner of a webshop or a successful website, it’s always a good idea to think of new ways to improve your business. One great way to generate more revenue is with the help of an affiliate network. There’s a chance that you’ve already heard about affiliate marketing and that you’ve participated in its practices. The key questions are: what is affiliate marketing exactly and how can it improve my business online?
Affiliate marketing is a way of performance based advertising. The pricing model that is applied at affiliate marketing is the CPA model (Costs Per Action). In this type of advertising the advertisers pay for a specific action such as a credit card transaction. Zanox and Trade Tracker are two of the biggest affiliate networks. These networks bring together publishers and advertisers to improve revenue at both parties. It depends on your type of business, in what way affiliate marketing can be useful to you. I will try to elaborate on this and explain you the advantages and the pitfalls.
Affiliate marketing for webshops (advertisers)
Big international webshops such as Zalando heavily make use of the advantages that affiliate marketing has to offer. Zalando is connected (read: affiliated) with Zanox which makes it possible for websites to promote the products that Zalando offers in its webshop. If you own your own webshop, you are most likely looking for ways to generate more (useful) traffic to your website. By connecting your webshop to an affiliate network, bloggers and websites will have to opportunity to promote your products at their blogs and websites. They will reach their audience with valuable content which will boost sales. The affiliate network opens new doors: it will be your performance partner! The best thing? You will only pay a certain commission per actual sold product.
Why participate in affiliate marketing?
- Diverse, high-quality publisher network with global reach
- Mobile traffic and tracking, as well as mobile SDK to engage mobile consumers
- Performance monitoring via customizable reports and statistics
- Opportunity to cooperate with your top publishers
Affiliate marketing for websites and bloggers (publishers)
There are opportunities for websites and bloggers to advertise products from webshops that are connected with an affiliate network. First things first; you will have to get connected with an affiliate network first. You will see an overview of all participating advertisers. Try to look for websites that are relevant to your website or blog. As a blogger, there is a chance that you already advertise some products that you are pleased with. By mentioning the name of the products and reviewing it, you won’t earn (extra) money. With affiliate marketing you will! Promote or talk about the product on your blog or website and add a hyperlink which leads the visitor of your website to the particular product on the webshop. The hyperlink will be a deeplink that you’ve generated in the affiliate network. This special deeplink is traceable and measurable. When a visitor of your websites buys products on the website you redirected them to, you will receive a commission!
Tips and tricks
- Use relevant and interesting content to boost sales. My practical experience taught me that links only will barely use for sales. Give the visitor of your website a reason to buy!
- Communicate clearly that the hyperlink sends them to the product and gives them more information. It won’t force them to sell the product instantly.
- Make sure that the clickable hyperlinks will open in a new tab, if you don’t take care of this, you will lose the visitor on your website when they click on other hyperlinks on your website
- The deeplinks you’ve created aren’t valid endlessly
- Once a customer has clicked on the deeplink of the publisher and has put products in its cart, there is a chance that it will look for discount codes on the web. As a pubsliher, this is a crying shame. Once the customer has found the discount code on another website that also makes use of the affiliate system, you won’t receive ANY commission. The last deeplink counts.
What is affiliate markting to you? Share your ideas, tips and tricks.