Is always difficult try to simplify a whole book in a few words and almost when this book has a lot of interesting information. In this case we have decided to focus in the parts we find more useful and also more easy to understand by anyone.
In this post we are going to speak about the book called ‘Inboud Marketing and Seo’ written by Rand Fishkin and Thomas Hogenhaven. In it, we can find six different parts which separate the themes. We have selected four of them to speak about in this post. These ones are: Search engine optimization, Content, Conversion rate and optimization and Analytics.
About the first and second selected part: SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION and CONTENT.
White Hat SEO techniques:
In this point the book speak about the birth of SEO after Google Cracking Down and which are the best practices of Search Engines to make money tactics that never stop working.
On these topic, the different chapters say in conclusion that the future of search must be the use of White Hat practices.
This is an interesting point because not everyone knows what is White Hat practices and why is this one of the best techniques.
In SEO terminology, white hat refers to how we use the optimization strategies, techniques and tactics focusing on a human audience opposed to search engines and completely follows search engines rules and policies. This techniques are more used by who wants to make a long-term investment on their website.
Also in this part the book speak about another interesting topic: how we can create a good content and about duplicate content in a Post-Panda world.
About content, we only are going to specify some points because this is a more common subject who the majority knows and this book repeat. At the end a good content is so important to attract the customers attention. Also, freshness the content influences in ‘Rankings Google Scores’ because if your content is always the same it could become stating and this generate less visits and, at the end, lost positions in SEO ranking. This books refers besides to the links we integrate in our content and how they can be more or less efficient. All links are not equals and external links are more influential than internal links which can improve too our content.
What Is Duplicate Content? And why we must or not do it?
Duplicate content is copy or reused information of other web pages. It could be useful to link website with another which help us to increase our position in SEO ranking, above all, when we take this content from a friendly website or preparing for this. But it also could be dangerous because SEO penalize the website which it considers are stealing content.
In conclusion is fine to duplicate content but we have to take care with it to don’t resulting in a lower key phrase position.
Content and Social Media Marketing:
We know that is necessary to select the best easy and powerful words to communicate by Social Media our website or ecommerce. In the last years, has taken place the Social Media awakening with a clear message which has changed our communication perception. Such as the book express: now ‘It’s not just about me, it’s about you’. For this, as the book continues, if we do fine our work in SEO the ‘rich get richer’.
After this affirmation the book give us a different tricks to improve our communication:
- Talk to people like people
- Stand out inbox
- Do our own research to find the best target and communication for our website
- Offer value
- Maintain rapport
CRO and persuasion:
The final goal of every internet business is to get conversion. CRO has been changing a lot in a short period of time and the true is that is not too difficult to achieve if we try to follow some good practices examples, like the book offer to us. In chapter 19: an Illustrated Guide to the Science of Influence and Persuasion; the book tell us that the persuasion is really powerful to get increase CRO. In this point the book give some tricks like the next ones:
- get reciprocation: don’t take profit only you, generate value for the customers
- Commitment and Consistency: be always loyal and fulfill promises.
- Social Proof
- Scarcity: is better offer a simple thing fine than a lot of complex things
Also have a good lading page is important to get a good CRO. This book advises us to scoring our page to detect problems and to can improve it.
As Google express: it consists in ‘an estimate of the quality of your ads and landing pages triggered by keywords. Quality Score reported for each keyword in your account. Having a high Quality Score means that our systems think your ad and landing page are relevant and useful to someone looking at your ad. You can find out your Quality Score for any of your keywords’.
The next video explain also what Quality Score is.
If after scoring our page we see that is not efficient maybe we must to do a Landing Page Rehab Program as the book express.
12 steps to do a Landing Page Rehab
- Use a Separate Landing Page for Each Inbound Traffic Source Sponsor’s Advice Rehab Program
- Test Your Landing Pages Sponsor’s Advice
- Match Your Landing Page Message to the Upstream Ad Sponsor’s Advice
- Context of Use Sponsor’s Advice
- Use Videos to Increase Engagement and Conversions
- Use Directional Cues to Lead the Way
- Find the Optimal Balance of Data versus Conversion Rate
- Be Honest About Your Writing and Edit Ruthlessly
- Make It Desirable to Share
- Leverage Social Proof and Trust Devices
- One Page, One Purpose
- Post-Conversion Marketing
About the fourth part selected: ANALYTICS
Ecommerce need data analysis and Google Analytic as the book says is one of the most useful tools to get it. This books, full of tricks as we could see during this post, provides us of some advices to use Google Analytics in our Website. This ones are the next:
- Set Up Your Analytics Goals
- Connect Your Google Webmaster Tools Account
- Leverage Site Speed Reporting
- Enable Site Search
- Track Events 280 6. Real-Time Reporting Multi-Channel Funnels Use Custom Campaign
- Tracking Plot Rows Custom Dashboards Flow Visualization Visitors Flow
- Goal Flow
Launching a new website:
The last information have been selected is for everyone who wants to improve him/her website, blog or ecommerce but, what happens with the people whom want to launch their own website and don’t know anything about it? In this case, at the end of this part, at chapter 26, the book give us a really useful information about what is the best practices to launch a new website.
The tricks the book offer to us are the next ones:
- Install Visitor Analytics
- Set Up Google and Bing Webmaster Tools Accounts
- Run a Crawl Simulation of Your Site
- Test Your Design with Browser Emulators
- Set Up RSS Feed Analytics
- Tag the Actions That Matter
- Conduct an Online Usability/Branding Test
- Establish a KPI Dashboard
- Build an Email List of Friends and Business Contacts for Launch
- Create Your Google Alerts
- Bookmark Brand Tracking Queries
- Make Email Signup/Subscription Available
- Connect Your Social Accounts
- Make a List of Outreach Contacts
- Build a List of Keywords to Target in Search Engines
This book is really useful for everyone whit a medium level who wants to learn more about SEO and its relationship with marketing. Is also good for people who want to improve their ecommerce or websites. ‘Inboud marketing and SEO’ offer to us a lot of tricks and advises which give to it a practical aspect. That facilitates the book understanding and also provide a real good vision about the market and which are the best practices.
However, to read this book is necessary to take time because sometimes there is some technical information we need to find about in other sources. Also is a large book with a lot of pages and chapters.
In conclusion it could be a good manual about SEO and how use it for Marketing issues for persons with are news in the ecommerce and webpages.