In this week’s final blog post I like to briefly review the book “Valuable Content Marketing” by Sonja Jefferson & Sharon Tanton. A book that most of my fellow students now and actually will come in handy in multiple situations. It is pretty ironic that I will be writing about valuable content in my last post but hey let’s see whether I applied the essentials as mentioned in this book.
How to make quality content the key to your business success
This book tells you why valuable content is the focus of all successful marketing in todays business. It explains us not only how to create the content but also how to share it with the right target audience.
In today’s market it really is essential that you, as a company, brand or starting entrepreneur, know how to get your message across in the right way.
I think this book is a must read for every marketing student plus definitely a decent book with understandable information on valuable content marketing.
The content of a book all about content
Part 1 – Why valuable content?
- Chapter 1: Marketing has changed: have you?
- Chapter 2: What is valuable content and why it wins you business
- Chapter 3: What do I say? Guiding principles for your valuable content
Part 2 – What valuable content?
- Chapter 4: Start with a blog
- Chapter 5: Distribute your valuable content via social media
- Chapter 6: Keep in touch with engaging email newsletters
- Chapter 7: Get search engine savvy
- Chapter 8: Your valuable website
- Chapter 9: Add deeper written content: white papers, e-books and books
- Chapter 10: Diversify with different formats: video, audio and more
- Chapter 11: Widen your reach: take your valuable content on tour
- Chapter 12: Valuable content for salespeople
Part 3 – How to make your marketing valuable?
- Chapter 13: How to write content your customers will value
- Chapter 14: Making it happen: seven steps to success
As you can see the chapters are clearly divided into three main parts, which makes it really easy to find the information you need. In the first section it tells you why valuable content is important by telling what successful companies do right:
- Marketing online
- With valuable content
- Clear message
- They are generous
- Quality is their watchword
In the first part of the book the we are updated on what exactly is meant by valuable content, how buyers need to be approached and how the internet has changed opportunities and threats for marketers.
Valuable content is:
- Clear and compelling
- High quality
Personally I think part 2 is of major importance since everything is online nowadays. The advantage is that you have so many possibilities to reach a very specific target audience. The book tells us about the blogging basics but I do not think this is essential for every business. What I do think is essential is the distribution of your content via social media. A lot of companies do not have the right skills to do this or their image is not fully represented through these channels.
I think the book is fairly up to date and it clearly explains the advantages and disadvantages for a few social media channels such as: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, YouTube and Instagram. It is definitely a good point to consider whether your business should be on Facebook or not or if another channel is more appropriate.
A part that really interested me was about email newsletters in chapter 6. I think all of us experience newsletters as quite annoying however there are definitely companies out there that do a great job. A few times a week I do receive newsletters from some of my favorite online shops and their content definitely made me go to the shop and purchase products a few times. Personally I really value companies that use the right wording in their newsletters. So it shouldn’t be too formal but they also shouldn’t try to be “cool” and use terms they don’t even understand themselves.
Five qualities your newsletter needs:
- Clear aim
- Simple but effective design.
Seven steps to success with valuable content
I would like to include the 7 steps to success that are explained in the book to round off this blog post. This is a simple roadmap to follow for success with your valuable content marketing strategy. For every step I will list some key points that are important in my opinion.
1. Know your business
- What difference are you looking for to make by marketing?
2. Be clear on what you will talk about
- Make it relevant and meaningful to your clients or customers
- Research the needs of target groups
3. Pick the right mix of content creation and distribution tools
- Provoke engagement through social media
- Invest in SEO(and SEA)
- Have a variety of content (video, audio, text, graphics)
4. Make sure your website is up to the job
- Frequently update with new content
- Easy to navigate
5. Plan like a publishing pro with a content calendar
- Use scheduling tools (read more)
- Don’t plan everything!
6. Put the right team together
- Outsource activities if necessary
7. Measure, refine, learn and continue
- Make sure you meet objectives
- Make use of Google Analytics