Every beginning of a new year, we start to wander what would become new trends. As a webshop owner, you want to know what the new trends are going to be in selling your products through your website. It is always difficult to know in advance how the technology develops but media and online specialists can make a prediction what aspects are going to be important. I will give you the 5
most important trends for 2015.
1. Mobile phones are the future
2014 was the year of social media and laptops. According to many media specialists, 2015 is going to be all about mobile devices. It is our most personal communication device and messaging companies are trying to expand their expertise. Besides that, people want to buy products directly from their phones. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of webshops that have an app or a website made for mobile devices. You want your webshop to sell more? Put some effort in building a fast, well-ordered and easy mobile device website.
Martijn Bertisen (Sales director at Google) explains why mobile device e-commerce is becoming so important. He says that over 50 of the Christmas shopping in the UK is most likely to have done with mobile devices. If you would like to see the interview with Bertisen you can click here.
So building a webshop that is compatible with phones could become very important. There are some things to keep in mind for the design of the mobile webshop:
- Smartphones are small so make sure everything is readable and clear. Pictures should be big enough and text should be readable without having to scroll from left to right but only from top to bottom.
- Create enough space. Customers have to click to buy products. When it is not easy to click on the correct word or button, they will not buy your products. Navigating through your website should be easy. Keep this phrase in mind: “less is more”.
- Make sure the website is fast. Consumers are very inpatient when it comes to Internet on their phones. It is Google’s advice to have a website that does not take longer than 1 second to load. If it takes more than 4 seconds, customers are most likely to give up and go to your competitor. This is also the case for your online webshop for computers.
- Paying should be easy. At this moment, 47% of the people using their mobile device to order through a webshop, stops when they have to pay. It is to difficult and to many clicks are necessary. It is time consuming. Reducing the amount of clicks necessary and time spend for purchasing will increase the ordered products on your webshop.
2. Don’t sell but inform!
Content marketing becomes more and more important. Consumers do not want to be sold to but want information. They want to decide themselves if a product is right for them or not. This was already a trend in 2014 but becomes more important in 2015. So the advice for this year: do not try to sell products but try to inform the customers about the products (eg. what is the product for, the specifications, etc.). If you keep actively selling your products, consumers will most likely not use your webshop to order the products they want or need.
3. World wide competition
In 2015, the consumers are not afraid to order products from other countries. Consumers were more likely to use webshops from their region or own country, this year they order from webshops all over the world. This means that you get a lot of more competitors but that your webshop also needs to adjust to this trend. Shipping methods, payments, promotion, etc., it should all be adjusted to your target audience globally. Of course this is not mandatory, but keep in mind that your competitor pool is expanded and this could mean you would loose customers.
4. Hyper-personal webshops
Advertisements become more personal. We see it on facebook and google. When we look for some products it will be shown in the advertisement bars after the search. Google sees what you search for online and adjusts their advertisements to your interests.
This is also going to be a trend for webshops in 2015. The webshop will be customized to every single customer. You can collect a lot of information about your customers and show each person different products that are interesting for them individually.
Some webshops will have the option to design your own dashboard to optimize the shopping experience; others will make individual sale promotions (sale specially designed for one person individually).
Making your webshop more personal for your customers will increase the feeling of importance and being loyal. This is important for repetition of using your webshop.
5. The power of online and offline combined
More and more webshops will open a physical shop in 2015. Consumers want the online product offer and sales with the experience of the physical shops. I experience it myself, I do research online but at the end, purchasing the product in a physical shop gives me more satisfaction. It is the shopping experience I miss when I order online.
The combination of the online and offline shop will give more information about your customers. There are applications that show where customers are and what their interests are. This way, the shop assistants can help more efficiently or send the customer more specified sale promotions. So this online combined with offline will give you more opportunities and your customer more satisfaction; a ‘win-win’ situation.
With other words, 2015 is going to be another challenging year with new developments and trends. You want your webshop to be successful and up to date, keep these 5 trends in mind. Make the online purchases a personalized experience where you inform your customers, with a fast website and easy navigation, compatible with mobile devices. Good Luck!