If you want to get traffic and sales on your website, what you need to try and do is an efficient email campaign. One of the main benefits of Email Campaigns is its measurability, and its ability to measure results through quantitative data. By using Doppler you can help yourself to have detailed reports, so that your campaign achieves the impact that you are looking for. There are some metrics that you will need to measure which will lead your business to success.
Metrics that will lead you to success
1. Analyze your delivery rate
The delivery rate of your campaign is given by the number of consignments that effectively reach the inbox of your recipients. However, many factors can intervene in this process, such as the existence of rebounds and anti spam security measures.
Investigate how many of your pieces were actually delivered and make comparisons between the openings of different campaigns, to discover what kind of content are more interested for your subscribers and what subjects were more successful.
Analyze and compare the amount of open, unopened and bounced emails. If you have a good rate of delivery, meaning that most of the email you sent were received by your subscribers, and the number of openings was not good enough, the problem may be in your business or profile of your contacts, which may not care about your content.
What if my delivery rate is low? You can follow these few steps to make a good deliverability:
1) Use doble opt-in: Using these people will get a confirmation after they’ve entered their email address into your form and clicked submit. They will be not subscribed until they click a link in the confirmation email.
2) Avoid over emailing: over mailing is when you mail more than once a day. When you send too many emails, people tend to respond less.
3) Avoid spam traps: This is an email address that its not used by a real person for a long time, and it has been taken over by an anti-spam organization. Now if any emails get sent, the sender will be marked as a spammer. The top way to get a spam trap on your list is to buy an email list.
4) Avoid spamming practices.
5) Use clear email subject lines.
2. Access to your opening rates
This is one of the star indicators in Email Marketing. Opening rate represents the number of people who opened your email divided by the number of subscribers who received and multiplied by 100.
A good way to improve this indicator is to track the hours where your Emails have the highest number of openings and use this information to know what are the best days and times. You can also pay attention to what type of subject and content best match your subscribers.
The key here is to compare the amount of total openings (number of times your email was opened) with the number of unique openings (sum of Emails open once per subscriber). If the amount is much higher in total, this means that your content was so interesting that your subscribers opened it more than once.
According to current market parameters a campaign that achieves an Open Rate of 20% is considered successful. Remember that this result will always depend on the total number of subscribers to whom you have sent the email too.
Those who do Email Marketing, know that not all emails which are sent will actually reach the mailboxes of subscribers. This has to do with several factors that can affect arrival, producing what is called a Rebound. They are called Soft when Emails do not reach their destination due to errors or permanent situations.
Beware of theo feared Hard Rebounds! In this case, the Email will never be delivered to the target. Why? Some of the reasons include: the address is invalid because it was discharged, has been poorly typed or non-existent. A high Hard Bounce Rate indicates the poor quality of a List, as these addresses will never receive any of your emails, so they will be useless and will eventually be removed. The average of Hard and Soft Bounces should ideally be less than 5%. A larger sum indicates that it is time for a review of your lists and perhaps find better ways to get subscribers.
How to improve opening rates:
1) Improve your email subject line: You should be concise, avoid buzzwords, offer an incentive and of course test it first to see the results on your target.
2) Segment your target audience better; ask your email list what they are looking for. The better your segmentation, the higher your open rates will be and in turn, the more effective your marketing campaigns will become.
3) Lazy list management can affect your open rates. 2 things can happen: the first one is that people is receiving email that they’re not interested in and ISPs don’t deliver email messages. To be more responsible about managing your list is to create a permission-based in house list. More then 43% of your email list click the spam button. Therefore, it is important that email recipients know who you are. However, they need to know that they are going to receive emails from you. This can be done by asking them permission after a purchase, implement an email sign up form, offer an incentive or set expectations.
4) Once you’ve done all that, it is important to manage it effectively: if a user no longer wants to receive emails from you, they should be able to easily unsubscribe.
3. Discover your Activity Links
Through this report you can learn what links your subscribers clicked and how many times. Here comes another important indicator: Click Through Rate. This will let you know the amount of clicks made on the links, divided by the number of emails sent.
At this point it is key that you think strategically what links you want to include and where you are going to place them, because the clicks will allow you to make the conversions you intend to get.
Caution! If your CTR is much lower than your Opening rate, it may mean that the content or design of your campaign is not clear and your subscribers don’t know where to click. The Calls To Action play a fundamental role in focusing on places where you want your subscribers to do certain action.
Doppler lets you know which Subscribers have clicked, the number of clicks per subscriber, and total clicks. This allows you to find out which links are most interesting. This way you can focus on the most relevant content for your prospects.
4. Observe the impact of your Social Media Campaign
One of the best ways to make your Email Campaigns go viral is by sharing content on social networks. The social impact of your sent emails will be given by the shares you get for each one.
It is interesting to know what platform your subscribers prefer to share the contents of your email on, this will help you to adapt your actions to the characteristics of that network. If you find that your campaigns are most popular on Facebook, think about the design so that it is perfectly suited to the characteristics of this network.
From Doppler you can access the option to self-publish and to share your campaigns automatically to your social networking profiles. You can also create a Social Campaign, allowing your subscribers to share it.
5. Calculate the ROI of your campaigns
Every action of Marketing involves a financial investment, so it is important to know what are the benefits and uses that you get from the invested effort. Calculate your ROI according to a number of variables: Number of Subscribers, Cost of Open Rate Campaign, Conversion Rate and Value of each conversion obtained.
If the result you get is negative, you will need to take a review of your budget while redefining your strategy. It may be that the investment is excessive or the conversion rate is too low, so it would be a good idea to consider whether your Campaigns meet the objectives, your lists may not be adequate because Subscribers have no interest in doing any conversion.
One example of a good email marketing campaign is the following:
This campaign is a good example of a fantastic email marketing campaign. Usually when campaigns talk about products, they give 1000 products in one email and have no clear call to action. However, in this campaign you can see which products they are focusing and ensures the entire image is clickable, which thats a good thing for the users to interact with the email. Finally, I like the use of the social media call to action they’ve used under the ‘Shop Now’ link.
If you want to learn more about how to analyze your email marketing campaigns watch this video:
Remember one important thing: Email marketing campaigns should have the goal of building relationships with you and your customer, so try your best to maintain them happy.