This week I am making Beef Teriyaki with Mihoen, so called rice noodles. Teriyaki dishes have always been one of my favorite foods. I find a lot of my friends and Dutch people are very fond of Teriyaki dishes. So here, let me first give you some introduction to Teriyaki.
Teriyaki is one of the most well known Japanese cooking styles. In Japanese, “teri” means luster or glaze, which refers to the glossiness the sauce looks like; “yaki” simply means the cooking method of grilled. The sauce is with basic ingredients of soy sauce, miring and sugar. With a few simple ingredients, it gives a tasteful flavor of sweetness and saltiness in combination.
Nowadays, the word “Teriyaki” is used to describe as the “sauce” instead of the cooking style. Therefore, you do not have to mix the ingredients (soy sauce, mirin, and sugar) by yourself; you can simply get a bottle of “Teriyaki” in the supermarket! With that, you can easily make delicious a Teriyaki dish in no time.
Teriyaki goes well with pork, chicken, duck, lamp, and beef as well as vegetables. Personally, I like it with Beef and vegetables. Since Teriyaki is a very flavorful sauce, I like to eat it with rice or noodles aside the meat/vegetables. This week, I have rice noodles with beef Teriyaki . You can replace the rice noodles with your preference of rice, or other kind of noodles as well.
Beef Teriyaki with Mihoen
– 350 grams of steak, sliced
– 200 grams of mushrooms, sliced
– 250 grams of French beans
– 4 spring onions, chopped
– 1/2 tbsp. Garlic powder
– 4 tbsp of sesame oil
– 350 ml of teriyaki sauce
– 2 ozs dried rice noodles
- Boil a pot of hot water to cook the noodles. When water is boiled, soak the rice noodles in for 3-4minutes. After soaking the noodles, rinse the noodles with cold water and let it dry.
- Add the sesame oil and garlic powder in the rice noodles and mix it well. Heat a frying pan with a bit of oil, add the beef, and cook it for about 5-7 minutes. Add mushrooms and French beans, stir and cook it all together for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the teriyaki sauce in the frying pan, mix it well with all ingredients in the pan. Cook 3 minutes, and make sure the beef is cooked. Remove from heat. Add spring onion on the cooked teriyaki beef.
- Now place the rice noodles that was prepared in step 1 and 2 in a plate, have the teriyaki beef served over the rice noodles.
Notes: You can replace the meat with other kinds of meat such as pork or chicken, also adding other vegetables you like. It is always fun to be a little creative with your dish 😉
If you would like to get the rice noodles I used in this recipe, it is called “Mihoen”, you can simply get it in supermarket like Albert Heijn, as well as “teriyaki”.
Hope you enjoy! See you next week.